Friday, January 28, 2011

Foodie Friday: Rolled Oats

Welcome to the first-ever "Foodie Friday" at Almost on Purpose!

My goal for "Foodie Friday" is to share an ingredient or recipe tip that can be used in more than one way. Today, we are exploring the wide world of... rolled oats. This isn't anything new... just away to cut down on buying multiple types of oats.




I'm sure many of you know that there are a several ways to buy oats in the grocery store. Here are the two most common: rolled/old fashioned oats or quick oats. Quick oats are just lightly ground rolled oats. The easiest way I know how to make quick oats is to use a food processor.
  1. Put the desired about of rolled oats into your food processor.
  2. Pulse a few times until oats begin to break up.
  3. Measure out the amount of home-processed quick oats.
It seems that my rolled oats take up more volume than the quick oats, so I have to put in a little more oats in the food processor than I think I need.

Reminder... to get the most out of your oats, store them in an airtight container. My tupperware lady, Grace, has her modular mates on sale for 40% off. That was a shameless plug for her. (I'm not being compensated in any way... just wanted to pass along the info).

Next time you have a recipe that calls for quick oats, just use your rolled oats.


Favorite recipes with rolled oats

Mock Great Harvest Bread Company Chocolate Chip Cookies (no white sugar)

Peanut butter chocolate baked oatmeal. This freezes well. You'll want to put the leftovers away right away because it is so tasty.

Plus, I like to put 2 Tbsp of rolled oats into one batch of any baked goods' recipes or pancakes. It just gives them a little more substance.

Do you have a favorite recipe or tip for oats? Please share.



Reference material: Here's a great post all about oats from one of my fav food bloggers. Those of you that want a more whole-foods option, steel-cut oats are the way to go. We're still on our journey to cooking with whole foods and haven't taken this plunge yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment