Monday, December 19, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie: A Super Easy Recipe

This pie recipe is one of my Hubby's favorite. It's usually his request for his birthday dessert. In addition, I've made it for several church events and am always asked for the recipe. I'm finally sharing it today.

I can not take any credit for this recipe. The original Oatmeal Pecan Pie recipe was made my grandmother-in-law's aunt in Tennessee, who is an amazing cook. She is famous for her desserts. This recipe was then adapted by my mother-in-law to include the "chocolate chip" part. The original version is still a big family favorite.


The other awesome part about this recipe is that it always makes two pies because one is never enough. It's fun to take a pie to a friend and enjoy one, too! Well, maybe that's just me. Plus, unlike most pecan pies, you don't have to have perfect pecans. Just use what you have (chopped, pieces, or whole).

I also love that this pie is best when cooled completely and even better when made the day before — giving me the chance to make it when it's convenient for me. When it's served hot, the pie is much more crumbly.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup + 2 Tbsp Maple syrup (the real thing, NOT pancake syrup)
1¼ cups flaked coconut
1½ sticks (¾ c) butter, melted
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups pecans (for top of pie), chopped or halfed
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 unbaked pie crusts (store bought or your favorite recipe)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.
  2. In medium mixing bowl, beat eggs and add remaining ingredients (except pie crusts). 
  3. Divide the mixture between the two pie crusts, then top with pecans.
  4. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until pie is set and golden brown. Cool completely before serving. 
Do you have a favorite pie? What do you like most about it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment