|Day 1: Regus 2 showing off his work. |
He loves using the hole puncher.
- We find out what the day of the week and date is, then pick the "clue" card (background paper made out of scrapbooking paper) out of the advent calendar.
- I lay out all the available picture cards.
- I read* the Scripture written on the clue card. I may offer some inflection in my voice to help with the clue. If it's especially difficult, I'll give them other clues or words to describe the picture they need to find.
- The boys find the picture that matches the story and talk about why it matches the clue (helping their comprehension).
- Color the picture, glue the picture onto the clue card, punch a hole, and add string. This might be their favorite part of all.
- Finally, hang the ornament on the tree.
- When Daddy gets home, either they bring him over to the "branch" (as they call it), or he asks them about it. I love tag-teaming my with Hubby!!
* It can be tough to make little boys sit still during reading time. They are boys — they need to move. Our family rule for any story time is that they can play with a quiet toy but can't make any sound effects (all while sitting near me). This continues to be a work in progress, but I am definitely seeing the benefits. They are able to answer some of my questions, which shows me they are listening.
|Day 19: We're almost there! In this picture, you can see |
the back "clues" of the ornaments and the front "pictures."